Re: [LUG] Open Source talk/demo any thoughts please

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:13:54PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 14:31 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
> > The other issue i think is important to get across but will probably
> > go over the heads or just bore the masses are licences. It is too
> > easy for companies to just get an office CD and install it on
> > multiple machines, this is a breach of the licence and is also a
> > computer that *could* be running open office etc instead. I think
> > that a point can be made that you can do a) pay a lot of money (for
> > proprity sw)licences, b) break the law c) use OSS solutions so that
> > you are all licence complient and can do the same work.
>
> Turn it round.
>

> Compliance is an issue, a problem, a worry, a risk, a cost of
> business.

Yes. Staff can install (illegal) multiple copies of Office but then
-   No critical updates (and yes updating MS Office is on a different
    site to updating windows)
-   If a member of staff reports you to the Business Software Alliance
    for a reward http://www.bsa.org/uk/report/ then you have problems

In fact it is worthwhile having a look at the link
http://tinyurl.com/fl37a which is a pdf file from the bsa site that
lists where directors are liable, if their staff do not follow the
license. Examples
-   Check the software is genuine
-   Check that you are following the license (ie not using discounted
    home software in an office environment)
-   Create a software register
-   Audit all computers on a regular basis
-   Amend employment contracts

Lots of talk of unlimited fines and jail times.

> The fewer closed source programs you run, the less of all of the above
> you have to deal with in your business.
>
> So FLOSS lets you spend you time doing business instead of IT
> administration .

.. and auditing licenses.