Re: [LUG] Open Source talk/demo any thoughts please

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 14:31 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> The other issue i think is important to get across but will probably go
> over the heads or just bore the masses are licences. It is too easy for
> companies to just get an office CD and install it on multiple machines,
> this is a breach of the licence and is also a computer that *could* be
> running open office etc instead. I think that a point can be made that
> you can do a) pay a lot of money (for proprity sw)licences, b) break the
> law c) use OSS solutions so that you are all licence complient and can
> do the same work.

Turn it round.

Compliance is an issue, a problem, a worry, a risk, a cost of business.

The fewer closed source programs you run, the less of all of the above
you have to deal with in your business.

So FLOSS lets you spend you time doing business instead of IT
administration.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley
www.defoam.net