Re: [LUG] 32/64 bit

this time 18 months later everything will be 64 bit the only reason dell etc sell 32bit systems is because they want to get rid of their old stock. if you spend money on a32bit system now you are silly go for a 64bit! if you are after a 64bit system check out ebay there is a guy on there (user name pc-rack) that sells them for stupidly cheap prices! ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Johnson" <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] 32/64 bit

On Saturday 04 March 2006 16:19, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Any comments, warnings, help and/or suggestions will be gratefully
received.

There's no real need or benefit for most people going 64-bit, however a 64-bit AMD processor is probably going to be cheaper than an equivalent 32-bit P4 so
you may as well.

There are plenty of 64-bit distros available: Debian, Mandriva, SUSE, etc.
etc. My personal choice is Kubuntu which works well. There is of course
nothing to stop you running a 32-bit distro on a 64-bit machine and this may
well be a good idea - there are disadvantages to running 64-bit, which I
actually wrote in a forum post a few days ago so I'll just refer you there:
http://tinyurl.com/oqjgr

As for TFTs: if you already have a reasonable CRT monitor and saving space
isn't an issue for you, I'd keep it. If you do need/want a new monitor, then getting a TFT will save space and power, but you'll need to pay for a decent
one to get good image quality and avoid dead pixels.

HTH,
David.

--
David Johnson