[LUG] Debian pam-pgsql

I've been attempting to set up authentication against a postgresql-8.1
database (for the TermiSoc servers).  I'm not having much luck.

NSS seems to be working: users that are in the database or
in /etc/passwd show up with "getent passwd"; "ls -l" will show the
correct owner, not just uid/gid.

PAM is a different matter.  When logging in as an /etc/passwd user I get
"Connection closed by ..."; when logging in as a database user I get
"Permission denied (publickey,password)."  "passwd" will prompt for a
password as normal, then segfault.

My PAM setup is as follows:

# /etc/pam.d/common-account
account sufficient      pam_pgsql.so
account required        pam_unix.so try_authtok

# /etc/pam.d/common-auth
auth    sufficient      pam_pgsql.so
auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok try_authtok

# /etc/pam.d/common-password
password   sufficient pam_pgsql.so
password required         pam_unix.so try_authtok nullok md5

# /etc/pam.d/common-session
session required        pam_unix.so try_authtok

Any suggestions?

    ben