Re: [LUG] 32/64 bit

On Saturday 04 March 2006 16:19, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Any comments, warnings, help and/or suggestions will be gratefully
> received.

There's no real need or benefit for most people going 64-bit, however a 64-bit
AMD processor is probably going to be cheaper than an equivalent 32-bit P4 so
you may as well.

There are plenty of 64-bit distros available: Debian, Mandriva, SUSE, etc.
etc. My personal choice is Kubuntu which works well. There is of course
nothing to stop you running a 32-bit distro on a 64-bit machine and this may
well be a good idea - there are disadvantages to running 64-bit, which I
actually wrote in a forum post a few days ago so I'll just refer you there:
http://tinyurl.com/oqjgr

As for TFTs: if you already have a reasonable CRT monitor and saving space
isn't an issue for you, I'd keep it. If you do need/want a new monitor, then
getting a TFT will save space and power, but you'll need to pay for a decent
one to get good image quality and avoid dead pixels.

HTH,
David.

--
David Johnson