Re: [LUG] root password

On 21/02/06 22:03:23, Robin Cornelius wrote:
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 21/02/06 17:59:53, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Ok you set the machine to boot from c: only etc,  and set a bios
>> password, but it is any easier to break into a Windows box if you
>> forget your admin password on that.
>>
>> In other words can I do something similar in Windows, to gain
access
>> to the entire system.  I am not asking about hacking / cracking
here,
>> just a comparison to keep this thread from feeding the Anti Linux,
>> windows is more secure, people out there.
>

> Once a person has access to the hardware it is game over.

Not necessarly,

Encrypted root filesystem

When the kernel boots (or is it at the boot loader stage?) you enter
the
passphase and the / file system is mounted and runs as normal.

I am not interested in the / file system I want the data, which is usually on another mount point.
So unless you encrypt all filesystems...
and even then if you have access to hardware you can still take it away and crack it... eventually

--
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\