Re: [LUG] root password

mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 21/02/06 17:59:53, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Ok you set the machine to boot from c: only etc,  and set a bios
>> password, but it is any easier to break into a Windows box if you
>> forget your admin password on that.
>>
>> In other words can I do something similar in Windows, to gain access
>> to the entire system.  I am not asking about hacking / cracking here,
>> just a comparison to keep this thread from feeding the Anti Linux,
>> windows is more secure, people out there.
>

> Once a person has access to the hardware it is game over.

Not necessarly,

Encrypted root filesystem

When the kernel boots (or is it at the boot loader stage?) you enter the
passphase and the / file system is mounted and runs as normal.

I would imagine its pretty hard to crack, guessing the passphrase is the
best bet and if you do have the harddisk at this point then a dictonary
attack becomes possible but with a strong phassphrase and 256 AES i
would imaagine that cracking becomes unreasonable.

Regards

Robin