Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:07:23 +0000
John Botwright <john.botwright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > N.B. You might get problems using either uhci or usb-uhci as the usb hub
> > > driver. Why oh why are there two drivers? One works for my webcam and
> > > the other for my flash drive, but not both!
> >
> > Why else? These are proprietary devices - why should they cooperate?
> >

> Not sure what your meaning is there - they're all GPL and I'm pretty
> sure none are proprietary.
>
> I just get a bit ticked off that the kernel has two usb hub drivers,
> because many usb device drivers have what I perceive as an 'affinity'
> for one or other hub driver. Is there a historical reason we have two?
>

> Cheers,
> John

Neil means that the devices are proprietary, not the drivers.

The manufacturers might prefer to do things a certain way, which is provided for by
the uhci module, whereas others would prefer to do things differently, which is
provided for by the usb_uhci module.  At least ohci isn't really an issue anymore!

Grant.