Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

Neil Williams wrote:

On Sunday 01 January 2006 4:35 pm, John Botwright wrote:
On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 03:09:40PM +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
I am attempting to connect a lifedrive to mandriva 2006
I also had problems using USB Palm peripherals (under RedHat).

1) check /dev/ttyUSB0 exists
  if not, create it using; mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

Caution on that - you shouldn't have to create the node yourself - it may being created dynamically - and note the next problem:

2) export PILOTPORT=/dev/ttyUSB0

Not necessarily. Many devices take up two ports and actually use:
PILOTPORT=/dev/ttyUSB1
for communication. If you only create USB0, you'll get nowhere.

3i ) modprobe uhci
ii) modprobe usb-serial

There are problems there too - modprobe visor may be needed in some cases.

Generally, such module shenanigans is done elsewhere in recent distributions, the days of doing such things yourself should soon be behind us.

N.B. You might get problems using either uhci or usb-uhci as the usb hub
driver. Why oh why are there two drivers? One works for my webcam and
the other for my flash drive, but not both!

Why else? These are proprietary devices - why should they cooperate?

Thanks for all your help. I have now just got a sync on ttyUSB0. The node is created automaticaly. When the hotsync button is pressed USB0 & USB1 are created, the rest of the time USB2 & 3 are there - but not during sync.

Neil, please could you mail the cvs details to the address below as I'd like to update to the latest pilot-link. OK off to try it with the gui!

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk