Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 05:18:36PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Sunday 01 January 2006 4:35 pm, John Botwright wrote:
> > 1) check /dev/ttyUSB0 exists
> >    if not, create it using; mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
>
> Caution on that - you shouldn't have to create the node yourself - it may
> being created dynamically

I agree that you shouldn't /need/ to, but it won't hurt. Try it and see.

> Generally, such module shenanigans is done elsewhere in recent distributions,
> the days of doing such things yourself should soon be behind us.

But it's fun! ;P

Seriously though, I've had enough of trying to undo whatever Windows, OSX,
RedHat and Debian tried to do for me, and redo it myself because I'm not
a typical 'one-size' user. LFS was too hard, the future is plan9!

> > N.B. You might get problems using either uhci or usb-uhci as the usb hub
> > driver. Why oh why are there two drivers? One works for my webcam and
> > the other for my flash drive, but not both!
>
> Why else? These are proprietary devices - why should they cooperate?

Not sure what your meaning is there - they're all GPL and I'm pretty
sure none are proprietary.

I just get a bit ticked off that the kernel has two usb hub drivers,
because many usb device drivers have what I perceive as an 'affinity'
for one or other hub driver. Is there a historical reason we have two?

Cheers,
John