Re: [LUG] HTML attributes

On Sunday 01 January 2006 3:59 pm, you wrote:
> On Sunday 01 January 2006 7:48 pm, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > I have just redone my home page,  using html and css
>
> Paul, your HTML is just plain bad. There are lots of attributes to tags
> that you are simply omitting and others you simply add that don't exist.
> It'll take too long to explain all the replacements you need.

Most of the other problems can simply be fixed by using quotes properly.

This error at W3C:
an attribute value must be a literal unless it contains only name characters.

Means that you must quote the value that is the cause of the problem:

 color=#006633 size=1>ZenADSL Home 1000</FONT>
 color="#006633" size=1>ZenADSL Home 1000</FONT>

Which brings up another issue - WHY ON EARTH are you using <font> when you
want to be using CSS anyway?????

http://www.codehelp.co.uk/html/deprecated.html

1. Quote all attribute values - every single one, no excuses.

2. Remove ALL font tags, everywhere, no excuses.

3. Specify an alt="description" attribute for every single img tag,
everywhere, no excuses - and while you're doing that, make sure the alt text
is always informative, descriptive and useful too. Not everyone browses with
images available. EXPLAIN your image content.

Then you'll be getting somewhere.

--

Neil Williams