Re: [LUG] suse10 nvidia driver

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 11:08:47PM -0000, Mike Tidball wrote:
> I just did a complete re-install in case all the failed installs messed
> something up.
> I had exactly the same error.
> I then did a fresh install using the 5 cd's I downloaded from the Novell
> site and the driver went in first time no problems.
> I installed exactly the same packages both times so there must be a problem
> with the Linux magazine DVD.
> I have spent all night googleing and yahooing and although lots of people
> have had identical problems I have yet to come across a fix.
> I'll just carry on with this version.
> Mike Tidball
>

> --

Hi Mike

If you get the same error again, try entering the following commands in a
terminal window;
which cc
which gcc
- that should give you the location of the 'cc' program or shortcut.

I'd be inclined to believe that the 'cc' program installed in a
nonstandard location, or the nvidia installer (nv/conftest.sh) was looking
for it in the wrong places :- IIRC, SUSE uses /opt for lots of things,
which many third-party programs fail to take into account.

Cheers,
John