Re: [LUG] Compiling the Kernel

Thomas Arrow wrote:

> Just for fun...

Possibly the best possible answer ;)

Doing it for fun, you might consider learning how to make a package with
 the most recent kernel source, rather than just building and running a
kernel from source (which is what we all learn first).

Most of the time the interesting bit is reading, and choosing the
options for configuration, as you learn what else Linux can do. The
actual compiling is tedious (normally). But I usually learn something
every time I build a bespoke kernel, but it is pretty rare I need to
these days.

You might also try applying additional kernel patches, the obvious ones
being additional security patches, such as grsecurity.