[LUG] suse10 nvidia driver

Hi,
I've just done a clean install of suse10,the one from Linux magazine not the oss version. I have installed all the development tools,all of KDE all the sources and done a full update online.
I then tried to get YOU to update the nvidia bit and as usual for me no joy.
I then downloaded the last three drivers from nvidia,booted into level 3 ran sh Nvidia.......and got the following which I've never had before.

no preconpiled kernal interface was found,would you like the installer to download one from nvidia. I clicked OK.

none were found installer will need to compile one.    I clicked OK

gcc-version-check failed
./usr/src/nv/conftest.sh:  line 19 cc: command not found
make sure libc development package is installed and cc is a valid compiler name.

I'm sure all the packages I need are installed. I have tried also sax2 -m 0=nvidia to see if the driver YOU put in would work but nothing.
I have installed these drivers several times but never come across this.

Any ideas anyone?
How do I check if cc is a valid compiler name?
I have tried the last 3 drivers from nvidia and get the same problem with each of them.

Mike Tidball