Re: [LUG] Linux Boot disk? Video Capture?

Neil Williams wrote:

In GNU/Linux terms, the boot disk is just the install CD. The days of a separate floppy are long gone. Most distributions can boot the first CD of the set in a rescue mode.
Fair enough, thanks for the explanation :)

It's possibly looking for the wrong kernel - have you got the Xandros CD? Failing that, a Debian install CD? Knoppix?
Tried the Xandros CD with no joy.. says 'Press Shift for boot options' but the Rescue option doesn't do what it says on the tin, not in my case anyway, inasmuch as it doesn't give me the chance to reinstal LILO which is all I need to do for a working system.

Few peripherals are guaranteed to work with GNU/Linux - you are asking for too much in that regard

Fair enough, poor choice of words on my part. What I *should* have said is "any card that LUG members use and know works with Linux" which is a completely different animal. You're absolutely right :)

My current card (as you may or may not remember) is a Pinnacle DC10+B... the B being for Bendino, the onboard chip which Pinnacle refuse outright to allow any developers to have the specs for. As Windows has been a pain for, IMHO, the final time I'm voting with my feet. I'd like a card that caps in full DVD (720*576/25fps PAL) as the Pinnacle does, but obviously known to work in Linux. From Rob's post I think I'm looking for something using a Brooktree BT8x8 chipset. Tuner is not an issue as I view through the cable box anyway. I could Google for it I know, but that landed me with the Pinnacle card last time due to viewing a misleading website that had not been updated. I'd prefer the opinion of people I trust, you guys and gals :)

Kind regards,

Julian