[LUG] Linux Boot disk? Video Capture?

Hi All,

Two questions:

1. Had to reinstall Winblows :( which killed LILO. Reinstall instructions tell me to use a boot disk (which I don't have) and type in:

linux root=/dev/hda where hda is the partition the Linux install resides on. Mine is on hda8. I used a Suse Live CD to get at the boot prompt, entered 'linux root=/dev/hda8' and it told me it could not find the kernel. What is going on? My normal distro is Xandros 3.0

2. Video Capture. Windows Service Pack 2 has fouled up my video capture in Windows. I am not about to go through all the hassle of reinstalling yet again just because Microsoft are incapable of producing a stable product. I know I've asked this before but with Christmas coming up it seems a good time to ask for presents ;) Can anyone recommend a Video Capture card (doesn't have to include a tuner as I use the cable box to view TV) which is *guaranteed* to work in Linux?

Kind regards,

Julian