Re: [LUG] Linux Boot disk? Video Capture?

On Sunday 11 December 2005 1:39 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> 1.  Had to reinstall Winblows :(  which killed LILO.  Reinstall
> instructions tell me to use a boot disk

In GNU/Linux terms, the boot disk is just the install CD. The days of a
separate floppy are long gone. Most distributions can boot the first CD of
the set in a rescue mode.

> linux root=/dev/hda   where hda is the partition the Linux install
> resides on.  Mine is on hda8.  I used a Suse Live CD to get at the boot
> prompt, entered 'linux root=/dev/hda8' and it told me it could not find
> the kernel.  What is going on?  My normal distro is Xandros 3.0

It's possibly looking for the wrong kernel - have you got the Xandros CD?
Failing that, a Debian install CD? Knoppix?

> 2.  Video Capture.  Windows Service Pack 2 has fouled up my video
> capture in Windows.  I am not about to go through all the hassle of
> reinstalling yet again just because Microsoft are incapable of producing
> a stable product.  I know I've asked this before but with Christmas
> coming up it seems a good time to ask for presents ;)  Can anyone
> recommend a Video Capture card (doesn't have to include a tuner as I use
> the cable box to view TV) which is *guaranteed* to work in Linux?

Few peripherals are guaranteed to work with GNU/Linux - you are asking for too
much in that regard because the original manufacturer usually does not
support Linux directly so it's all about providing outline support via a more
generic interface. Remember, GNU/Linux itself comes with no warranty - not
even fitness for a particular purpose so GNU/Linux itself is not guaranteed
to work with itself, let alone anything else.

In real terms, support is down to the distribution in the first case. Xandros,
being Debian based, will inherit Debian support so your first port of call is
the Debian archive to see which packages are available for support and which
devices those are likely to support most easily.

In the final analysis, GNU/Linux could support every peripheral ever created -
it's only ever a Simple Matter Of Programming . . . . .

So the issue of devices working with GNU/Linux is a spectrum - from the
easiest (like network cards and most internal components) through the
occasionally awkward but mostly effortless like USB, the mostly awkward but
somewhat usable 3D to the mostly obtuse and "go compile your own
driver/toolchain" like embedded systems.
:-)

Nothing is *guaranteed* to work. Read the GPL.

PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

(Don't mean to shout, the GPL text itself is in block capitals.)

If you want guarantees you have to pay for them. The nature of lawsuits then
means that the company (usually) underwriting that guarantee will require
that you surrender some of your freedoms in order to limit their liability.
In terms of software, a guarantee is ALWAYS going to specify that the
guarantee is null and void if you or anyone else modifies the guaranteed work
or related / dependent works in any way. This makes any such software
non-free so it would be ruled out of use in the main Debian (read Xandros)
archive, going into non-free instead.

From a company and legal standpoint, it is perfectly natural that they need to
limit their liability - otherwise the costs of the insurance underwriting the
guarantee will make the cost of the software prohibitive - but from a freedom
perspective, legally binding guarantees are a no-go area.

--

Neil Williams