Re: [LUG] Linux Boot disk? Video Capture?

On Sunday 11 Dec 2005 16:44, Julian Hall wrote:

> Tried the Xandros CD with no joy.. says 'Press Shift for boot options'
> but the Rescue option doesn't do what it says on the tin, not in my case
> anyway, inasmuch as it doesn't give me the chance to reinstal LILO which
> is all I need to do for a working system.

What I suspect you want to do is actually re-install lilo into the boot
sector. That does not mean re-installing it, simply running the lilo command
will make it magically reappear :)
That is what the rescue disk ( or a boot disk or whatever method you use )
will do.
As the previous post said, you stick in the rescue CD, boot from it. Once you
select the rescue mode, you will get a command prompt. There, you simply
mount the root partition for your Linux system,then, you can chroot into it -
thus changing the place you are working from the CD to the mounted root
partition. There, you can run lilo (or /sbin/lilo or whatever) and it will
make lilo look for and repair the boot loader :)
The use of rescue disks and chrooting into the system is something which seems
very odd to people the first time they do it - I remember it myself! But it
is actually very simple - it just sounds harder than it really is

Mark