Re: [LUG] Linux Boot disk? Video Capture?

Julian Hall wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1.  Had to reinstall Winblows :(  which killed LILO.  Reinstall
> instructions tell me to use a boot disk (which I don't have) and type in:
>
> linux root=/dev/hda   where hda is the partition the Linux install
> resides on.  Mine is on hda8.  I used a Suse Live CD to get at the
> boot prompt, entered 'linux root=/dev/hda8' and it told me it could
> not find the kernel.  What is going on?  My normal distro is Xandros 3.0

Have you got a Knoppix CD to hand?

If you can boot into a Knoppix CD or something along those lines you
should be able to mount your hard disk and chroot into your installation.

I'm sure someone on the list can answer this one a bit better, but if I
recall correctly, if you mount your existing installation, say on
/mnt/linux then you can chroot into the installation in a terminal
window using a command like...

chroot /mnt/linux

>From here you should be able to run the Lilo command to reinstall Lilo
on the boot sector.

> 2.  Video Capture.  Windows Service Pack 2 has fouled up my video
> capture in Windows.  I am not about to go through all the hassle of
> reinstalling yet again just because Microsoft are incapable of
> producing a stable product.  I know I've asked this before but with
> Christmas coming up it seems a good time to ask for presents ;)  Can
> anyone recommend a Video Capture card (doesn't have to include a tuner
> as I use the cable box to view TV) which is *guaranteed* to work in
> Linux?

Anything with a Brooktree BT8x8 chipset should work out of the box.  I
have an old Modular Technology MM100PCTV PCI capture card which is
detected and works fine.

This may help: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Cardlist.BTTV

It is a list of compatible cards.  After doing a bit more checking, it
appears that the Winfast VC100 PCI card from Ebuyer @ £17.02 inc VAT
will work with the BTTV drivers which are included in the kernel.  Link
here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54154

Personally I use an Adaptec VideOh! PCI Media Center Edition card.  I
wouldn't recommend it though, at least not at the moment.  To get the
card working requires a lot of messing about.  Okay, the card has MPEG2
encoding built in, but I still can't seem to get it to capture DVD
compatible MPEG2 video.

Rob