Re: [LUG] Microsoft in Devon or Cornwall?

Rob Beard wrote:

Interesting me thinks.  If schools get an interest in Linux & Open
Source, Microsoft step in and offer sponsorship (or should I say, being
locked into MS Software for god knows how long!)

Remind me, wasn't it Microsoft who was accused of anti-competitive
practices by both the US.gov & European Union?

Rob

Kind of ties in with my post from the DDN, where a project in Mexico have just found out they can't install firefox to protect the computers donated by Microsoft because of the contractual obligations.

You cant fight MS with legislation, they just open up another front somewhere and chuck dosh at it. Even if they loose the European market they will find another. The only way to fight them is through persuasion and word of mouth. The mexican's arn't stupid.... they identified the problem straight away (buggy old IE), they know the solution (firefox) but they are natuarally scared of infringing any agreement. Its our job to become part of the network, and highlight these problems so that others dont tread in the same mine fields. When people are education about the problems and made aware of the alternative choices, they can usually come to their own conclusions and pick a more sensible path to tread.

I joined DDN so that I could put my case for Free Software as I dont think there are any other advocates on the list, however I am expecting to get the "royal summons" or just be cut out at some point, why ..... because somewhere up the "distinguished" chain of sponsors for the DDN list server is yes you guessed it, our favourite company in Redmond.

Tom.