Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:35:27PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
> >I don't know about USP's but I am involved in a small factory in India where
> >we have just cancelled our anti-virus, anti-firewall licenses, and
> >instead just used a debian server with antivirus, firewall and a strict
> >whitelist for contacting outside sites.
> >
> >The cost of paying someone to come in and install the server was less
> >than one year's license fees for the software and we are now trying to
> >get the consultant to implement new (debian) software to help the office
> >workload
> >
> >So I would have thought that there would be many small businesses
> >(solicitors, architects, accountants etc etc) with a local network that
> >could also use with switching to a linux server to:
> >- Back up local data
> >- Provide security system (firewall, antivirus)
> >- Save money on Microsoft Server
> >Then when the next worm hits, they will not see anything.....
> >

> Thats what I was thinking of.  I've mentioned before about SME Server.
> I originally started using this as I was looking for a free alternative
> to Windows/Exchange.  I found that I could do exactly the same on an SME
> Server with lower hardware specs than I could do with a Windows 2000
> Small Business Server & Exchange 2000.
>
> For little cost (had most of the hardware already), I managed to get a
> server which provided IMAP e-mail, Webmail, file storage, e-mail & file
> anti-virus using Clam Antivirus (along with hourly updates - I don't
> even think McAfee EPO Server does that) and also web proxying/content
> filtering with Squid/Dans Guardian.

Spamassasin?

> I put a mailshot together to send out to some prospective clients (as
> you mentioned, solicitors, accountants etc), only problem is getting the
> money together to send them out.  I think a good start might be going
> into town next week and popping into different places and see if I can
> leave some information with them.

I would have thought that the biggest problem would be to get
small-businesses to trust OpenSource. I mean "after all isn't it
complicated, difficult, open to crackers, weird  etc etc etc"

I am involved in the factory and even then the only way I could get
Debian in was at the server end. Now that it is in, and the users are
happy, there is talk of expanding it. The main selling point on
expanding it is:
- Security (antivirus, spyware, firewall)
- System upgrades
- Invisible to customers

ie more time worrying about customers, production etc etc and no need to
worry about the bloody computer.

The problem is getting that initial entry point. And that will probably
involve getting to see the decision maker and selling the services on a
return on investment basis. If you start with a cheap server that is
invisable to everyone, then you will probably be able to cross-sell
other services / systems in future

> I actually think it helps that Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows
> NT 4.0.  I've still seen NT 4.0 on Desktops/Servers when I've been
> contracting.
>
> I guess I could put to some prospective clients some costs... Windows
> Server 2003 Small Business Standard starts at £226 with 5 client access
> licences.  Thats before including either buying a new server, or
> upgrading an existing server.  At least SME Server would run okay on a
> server which was spec'd up for NT 4.0 (i.e. Pentium 2/Pentium 3 with
> about 128/256MB Ram and small hard drives).

You will certainly need a fully costed solution, and that needs to be
less than what the customer currently uses. I think the following items
also need to be included in the cost calculation.
-   Will it work (yes)
-   Will the company NEED you services or if there is a falling out, can
    they use anyone. (yes, as long as you produce a manual showing what
    has been done)
-   Will the staff need training how to use it (no)
-   Will the customers know anything (no)
-   Does it need upgrading (all automatic)
-   Does it break (no)

ie will it be invisable? You could even put together a package in which
the companies pay you at the end of the year if there are no problems

What finally triggered the factory's move was:
-   No new machines were needed. The accounting database was run off a
    windows machine that frequently crashed, upsetting everybody. This
    was migrated to the linux server, and surprise surprise has not
    crashed since
-   It removed all the headaches with incoming virus's, which meant that
    staff in the office complained less about junk email
-   We could set up an internal email system.