Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:45:43PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> >
> > I don't know about USP's but I am involved in a small factory in India where
> > we have just cancelled our anti-virus, anti-firewall licenses, and
> > instead just used a debian server with antivirus, firewall and a strict
> > whitelist for contacting outside sites.
>
> Whilst I think antivirus tools are a waste of time/money, better fix the
> causes of the problem (although some do attempt to retrofit stack
> protection and other features to Windows, and so do attempt to address
> the problem).
>
> If you are deploying with any sizable number of PCs running virus prone
> operating systems and tools, you need to deploy protection at the
> desktop level in some way (or isolate the PCs from each other in clever
> ways).

Yes, the move now is to move from Windows and onto Linux. Getting people
to practice safe computer and keep their machines:
- Fully patched
- Backed up
Is all but impossible

It was interesting that on my recent trip, there was the sobig worm that
was released. The factory complained that there were a lot of virus
hitting the server but the users did not notice anything

The office however was bitching like mad (everyone ran Outlook Express
with Win XP, with antivirus etc etc). What was amusing was that the
office had not wanted to launch the server. Anyway while there I was
running Thunderbird, which was trapping 99% of the junk coming to my
computer.

Within a day of my pointing this out, all 9 users asked to switch from
Outlook Express to Thunderbird.