Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

Henry Bremridge wrote:

>I don't know about USP's but I am involved in a small factory in India where
>we have just cancelled our anti-virus, anti-firewall licenses, and
>instead just used a debian server with antivirus, firewall and a strict
>whitelist for contacting outside sites.
>
>The cost of paying someone to come in and install the server was less
>than one year's license fees for the software and we are now trying to
>get the consultant to implement new (debian) software to help the office
>workload
>
>So I would have thought that there would be many small businesses
>(solicitors, architects, accountants etc etc) with a local network that
>could also use with switching to a linux server to:
>- Back up local data
>- Provide security system (firewall, antivirus)
>- Save money on Microsoft Server
>Then when the next worm hits, they will not see anything.....

Thats what I was thinking of.  I've mentioned before about SME Server.
I originally started using this as I was looking for a free alternative
to Windows/Exchange.  I found that I could do exactly the same on an SME
Server with lower hardware specs than I could do with a Windows 2000
Small Business Server & Exchange 2000.

For little cost (had most of the hardware already), I managed to get a
server which provided IMAP e-mail, Webmail, file storage, e-mail & file
anti-virus using Clam Antivirus (along with hourly updates - I don't
even think McAfee EPO Server does that) and also web proxying/content
filtering with Squid/Dans Guardian.

I put a mailshot together to send out to some prospective clients (as
you mentioned, solicitors, accountants etc), only problem is getting the
money together to send them out.  I think a good start might be going
into town next week and popping into different places and see if I can
leave some information with them.

I actually think it helps that Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows
NT 4.0.  I've still seen NT 4.0 on Desktops/Servers when I've been
contracting.

I guess I could put to some prospective clients some costs... Windows
Server 2003 Small Business Standard starts at £226 with 5 client access
licences.  Thats before including either buying a new server, or
upgrading an existing server.  At least SME Server would run okay on a
server which was spec'd up for NT 4.0 (i.e. Pentium 2/Pentium 3 with
about 128/256MB Ram and small hard drives).

Rob