LTSP on Ubuntu was [LUG] Marketing Linux

John Horne wrote:

>That's interesting. At present we have LTSP 4.1 on a Fedora Core 3
>server. However, if I install a package on the server, then it is only
>available on the server because the relevant package files are not put
>into the directories used for the LTSP linux image. To get the package
>available to the LTSP clients I have to build the package from source
>within the LTSP build environment (LBE). Overall a pain. My
>understanding was that ubuntu got around this by doing exactly what you
>say - install a package onto the server and it becomes available to the
>LTSP clients (somehow). It sounds easy and impressive.
>

>John.

Okay, I've had a bit more of a play with LTSP on Ubuntu.  It appears
that the terminal server packages on Ubuntu work differently to how it
does on my Debian server.

I found some documentation @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto

>From what I can make out, when you've installed the LTSP packages and
then run the ltsp-build-client script, it creates another installation
of Ubuntu on the servers hard drive.

I had to change the dhcpd.conf file as it wasn't setup for PXE booting.
Once I did this I tried booting from another VMWare virual machine.  I
setup the LTSP client to use only 32MB of memory (I figured since it was
only displaying the desktop, it didn't need seriously high memory
requirements).

This is where I came unstuck!

It appears that under Ubuntu, the LTSP server boots an entire copy of
Ubuntu over the network and everything runs on the local machine not on
the server.  I guess this is okay if you have a reasonable spec machine
with a fast network connection, but it isn't suitable for machines with
only 32MB memory (not to mention slow processors!).

I guess there's advantages of doing an LTSP server both ways.
Personally I prefer the idea that the applications run on the server and
the output is displayed on the low end PCs acting as dumb terminals.

I did also find another document here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPHowTo

>From having a quick read, it looks like a similar setup to my LTSP
server.  Not sure if it works on Ubuntu 5.10, I'll give it a try
tomorrow and post some results.

Rob