Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

John Horne wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:00 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>

>>I'd like to do a bit more to help promote Open Source.  I'm now just
>>about completely moved over to Ubuntu (okay, I'll admit, I still do run
>>

>Can I ask what you like about Ubuntu and what you moved from? I use
>Fedora but will be looking at Ubuntu shortly for our grid computing
>since I gather it includes LTSP builtin and allows easy installation of
>additional packages onto the thin-client.
>

>John.

Well in the past I have used RedHat, Fedora, Suse, Mandrake.

Before I installed Ubuntu, I had attempted to install Gentoo from a
Stage 1 install (i.e. installing everything from scratch, building the
binaries from souce etc).  I found I didn't have the knowledge to get a
Gentoo system up and running properly.  I could get Gnome/KDE installed,
but I just wanted something that was useable quickly.

I figured I've give Ubuntu a try (I already use Debian 3.1 along with
LTSP 4.0 on my Linux Terminal Server) and I found apt-get was great to
work with.

What I like about Ubuntu is the ease of use.  It runs Gnome as standard
and comes with a nice selection of software (although I had add
Thunderbird for my e-mail).

I think it's mainly down to personal preference.  I've used SUSE 9.3 in
the past which I found to be quite good and easy to use as a Desktop system.

I'm not so keen on Fedora myself.  I recently tried to install Fedora
Core 3 (i386) on my PC while I'm trying to get a MythTV box up and
running.  It didn't seem to like my NVidia chipset (Nforce 3) and
wouldn't boot.  Still 10 minutes later, I was back in Ubuntu (the Ubuntu
Live CD is great!)

I haven't tried LTSP in Ubuntu.  From what I have read (in a recent
Linux format magazine), LTSP is included in the Edbuntu distro.  Not
sure how easy it is to get up and running though.  LTSP was fairly easy
to get running on Debian (after I changed the DHCP Server & TFTP server)
and it even boots on my old Blueberry iMac.

Where adding applications is concerned, on my LTSP server, if I add an
application using Synaptic, I can use it from the LTSP server itself, or
from any of the LTSP terminals.  It means installing applications is so
much easier, rather than installing multiple copies, you just install
the one copy.

Hope this helps.

Rob