Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:37 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> I figured I've give Ubuntu a try (I already use Debian 3.1 along with
> LTSP 4.0 on my Linux Terminal Server) and I found apt-get was great to
> work with.
>

> I think it's mainly down to personal preference.  I've used SUSE 9.3 in
> the past which I found to be quite good and easy to use as a Desktop system.
>
> I'm not so keen on Fedora myself.  I recently tried to install Fedora
> Core 3 (i386) on my PC while I'm trying to get a MythTV box up and
> running.  It didn't seem to like my NVidia chipset (Nforce 3) and
> wouldn't boot.  Still 10 minutes later, I was back in Ubuntu (the Ubuntu
> Live CD is great!)

Thanks for this. I'm not so much thinking of 'personal preference' in
terms of what I want on the desktop, but more in terms of preference in
running as a server. To that extent I have found Fedora very easy to
maintain in terms of patches (with yum), security with iptables/tcp
wrappers and running services with chkconfig. All the required services
needed for each server (e.g. MTA for mailhubs, web caching for web
caches) exist as rpm's so are simple to install. I guess it's just a
question of my learning a different distro - using apt-get, synaptic
etc :-)

> I haven't tried LTSP in Ubuntu.  From what I have read (in a recent
> Linux format magazine), LTSP is included in the Edbuntu distro.  Not
> sure how easy it is to get up and running though.  LTSP was fairly easy
> to get running on Debian (after I changed the DHCP Server & TFTP server)
> and it even boots on my old Blueberry iMac.

That was my first problem - I couldn't work out if I needed ubuntu or
edubuntu, or is LTSP included in both? As far as I can tell the
thin-client support is in '5.10' regardless of whether this is 'ubuntu'
or 'edubuntu' or even 'kubuntu'.

> Where adding applications is concerned, on my LTSP server, if I add an
> application using Synaptic, I can use it from the LTSP server itself, or
> from any of the LTSP terminals.  It means installing applications is so
> much easier, rather than installing multiple copies, you just install
> the one copy.

That's interesting. At present we have LTSP 4.1 on a Fedora Core 3
server. However, if I install a package on the server, then it is only
available on the server because the relevant package files are not put
into the directories used for the LTSP linux image. To get the package
available to the LTSP clients I have to build the package from source
within the LTSP build environment (LBE). Overall a pain. My
understanding was that ubuntu got around this by doing exactly what you
say - install a package onto the server and it becomes available to the
LTSP clients (somehow). It sounds easy and impressive.

John.