Re: [LUG] Mouse not Working

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
Hi

I have given up on Mandrakelinux, as I remarked when making a query to their support staff they are a wonderfull argument for windows. Complete waste of 60 whatever!

I always liked Mandrake.  I've not used it for a while now, though...

However got a copy of Fedora 4, and my old mouse problem has reappeared. (Indeed at one stage I found the message "Failed to enable mouse on isa 0060/serio1"). Basically the mouse just does not work, one must keep on rebooting until it does.

Running Debian Sid, I also get that message sometimes. However, I know exactly when I get it... I have a manual KVM switch, and if I leave my DebSid machine to boot whilst I am using the mouse on another system, then the mouse fails to initialise on the Sid machine.

I have found that, from a console, the following tends to reinitialise the mouse, but for some reason the mouse then feels "slow" and cumbersome to use:

From a console, as root, type: cat /dev/psaux
Then waggle the mouse around a bit until you see some weird and wonderful characters being printed to screen. The mouse should (in my experience, anyway) initialise after this.

Grant.