Re: [LUG] Mouse not Working

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

However got a copy of Fedora 4, and my old mouse problem has reappeared. (Indeed at one stage I found the message "Failed to enable mouse on isa 0060/serio1"). Basically the mouse just does not work, one must keep on rebooting until it does.

Is there a pattern. Is it dual boot? If so does it work after a cold reboot (i.e. switch off for 5 or more seconds).

The error is typical of a PS2 mouse not being found at all.

Down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf it tells me:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

(But that is now, perhaps it is different when the mouse does not work (but I do not think it would change) , however will look next time I boot up!)

I wouldn't expect it to change.

I use a PS/2Compatible Microsoft 3 button mouse. (A bog standard mouse!) Does this look right to people?

I've seen similar mice problems as a result of other unsupported or poorly supported PC components. But only in cheap and tacky unbranded PCs. Spotting those ones is hard if it isn't a cheap and tacky bit of hardware you added to a previously working system.

> Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

First you need to try a known good mouse from another system. Could it also be hardware - i.e. the mouse connector on the motherboard.

Does it work reliably if you say boot a "Knoppix" CD?

After that think you'd need to compare the boot messages from when it works, to when it doesn't work, to progress this

Since some BIOSes shuffle stuff around each time they reboot it could be a BIOS setting affecting things.

If I shell out can I sort of restart mouse?

Later kernel (2.6) might allow you to unload and reload the relevant kernel modules whilst the system is running, but it isn't pretty, and it isn't what you want.

Useful diagnostics to post might include..

kudzu -p -b psaux

cat /etc/sysconfig/mouse

The working and not working boot messages (in syslog probably), or get them after booting with "dmesg >~/working" or similar.

Not really a Redhat person so these might be out of date ideas ;)