Re: [LUG] Zebra TPL2284 label/barcode printer: aaaargh! wires!

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 19:37 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > I wonder how much a company can save by only connecting a few of the
> > pins in a cable from one Sub-D plug to the other?

Just to avoid doubt, the company that made the cable was not Zebra, who
made the printer.  I just pulled a cable that looks serial from my
collection of wires and things.

> They may well have been really lasy and just implimented a USB/serial
> convertor, it would have been quicker and cheaper from the design point
> of view.
>
> The obvious sign of a usb to serial are 1 control and 2 bulk endpoints
> (but a lot of other stuff may and does use this as well). Basicly plug
> it in determine the vendor and product id lsusb and then load the
> usbserial module modprobe usbserial vendor=0x000 product=0x000 (where
> vendor and product are as determined). if you are lucky a /dev/ttyUSB0
> will appear and behave *exactly* like the rs232 portm but then again it
> might not they may have implimented a USB printer class.

Thanks.  I'll have a play with that.  If I learn how to interrogate a
GLucose meter over an RS232 then I'll want it free for that, but for the
moment there isn't any other candidate for that RS232 port so the
printer can have it.  (I also think I have spotted where my
understnading was lacking, and using the right code should sort it out).