Re: [LUG] Zebra TPL2284 label/barcode printer: aaaargh! wires!

Adrian Midgley wrote:
> I wonder how much a company can save by only connecting a few of the
> pins in a cable from one Sub-D plug to the other?
>

> Anyway, having resorted to pliers, and now having a serial lead that
> actually connects the relevant pins, it works!
>

> This doesn't explain the USB bit, but I have long thought of USB as some
> form of unfathomable weirdness, and since we have RS232 ports on the
> relevant machines I can cheerfully ignore it.

They may well have been really lasy and just implimented a USB/serial
convertor, it would have been quicker and cheaper from the design point
of view.

The obvious sign of a usb to serial are 1 control and 2 bulk endpoints
(but a lot of other stuff may and does use this as well). Basicly plug
it in determine the vendor and product id lsusb and then load the
usbserial module modprobe usbserial vendor=0x000 product=0x000 (where
vendor and product are as determined). if you are lucky a /dev/ttyUSB0
will appear and behave *exactly* like the rs232 portm but then again it
might not they may have implimented a USB printer class.

Robin