Re: [LUG] Meeting this saturday

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 07:42:28PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
<snip>

> Right,
>
> So if I create a key, I'm assuming I have to do this on a Linux system?
> I'm running Windows XP on my main PC at the moment, I am planning on
> moving over to Debian or SuSE 9.3 in the near future (once I've got
> round to backing up the GB's of stuff which has been sitting on my hard
> drive for months).
>
> If I was to create the private key on a temporary Debian system, could I
> transfer it to CD and then transfer it to another system (say if I
> reinstall the OS, or upgrade/replace the PC)?

You can create the key on windows (I did). Just make sure that the secret key is
transferred securely to your linux system in due course

Go to www.gnupg.org and have a look at the front ends.

From memory you have two options:
- winpt (http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/)
- thunderbird and enigmail (a crib sheet for getting this working was
  posted about two weeks ago by me)

There is also a PGP system that will generate a secret key that you can
copy over to GPG in due course. I mention it but I would not recommend
it (http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial.html). (A colleague used
it and I have had problems since in trying to get her to move to gpg)

Henry