Re: [LUG] Meeting this saturday

On Friday 19 August 2005 19:42, Rob Beard wrote:
> So if I create a key, I'm assuming I have to do this on a Linux system?

No the gpg binary is avaiable for Windows as well, I am using gpg in
thunderbind on windows at work

> If I was to create the private key on a temporary Debian system, could I
> transfer it to CD and then transfer it to another system (say if I
> reinstall the OS, or upgrade/replace the PC)?

Yes, normaly a directory is creted in your home directory called .gn
npg this contains various important files such as pubring.gpg secring.gpg etc.
Backing all these up (and keeping the backup *very* safe) is what you would
want to do. May be you could also encrypt the backup for extra security.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx