[LUG] Debian Mail server setup

Hi folks,

I've been looking to replace my SME Server with some more up to date hardware. I've been playing around with Debian 3.1. I've followed a few different guides on the Internet but I keep having problems with them.

I managed to get fetchmail to download my mail, but I couldn't connect to the server from Thunderbird using imap.

I've since reinstalled the server as a temporary measure so I could backup my main PC before a reinstall (didn't fancy backing up to DVD-R!).

Now before I start another Debian install, I was wondering if anyone on the mailing list could suggest which packages to use?

What I would like to achieve is:

- Download mail from various pop3/imap mail accounts for each user on the server
- Send mail to my ISP (blueyonder) using standard SMTP,
- Allow users on the network to login to the server ideally using IMAP4 with Thunderbird or *cough* Outlook *cough*. - Allow access to the mail using webmail (something along the lines of Horde webmail). - Virus/spam checking mail (used ClamAV on the SME server box for virus checking before)

I'm assuming as a minimum I will need a basic install of Debian 3.1 along with the webserver components and maybe SQL server?

Any help on this would be great, would save my last bit of hair I haven't torn out yet ;-)

Rob