Re: [LUG] Anyone using ATI Radeon graphics card?

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 17:28 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Friday 12 August 2005 4:22 pm, John Horne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A quick question, is anyone using an ATI radeon graphics card under
> > Fedora at all?
>
> Debian unstable.
>
> > I have a radeon 9600 pro and it works well enough (in 2D) under FC4, but
> > as soon as the 'euphoria' open-gl screensaver kicks in the system locks
> > up completely.
>
> I'd blame the screensaver if nothing else is affected.

Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that. Running a 3d game
(neverball) works fine (albeit that the cpu hits the roof though!).
Running a 3d screensaver is fine provided when I move the mouse/hit a
key it doesn't prompt me for a password. If I configure the screensaver
to prompt for a password then the prompt appears but the system then
locks up completely. Tried this with different screensavers and under
kde (kde screensavers) and gnome (using xscreensaver). Non-3d
screensavers are fine.

Can I ask what card driver are you using and what version?

If you want to test this problem out (hint, hint :-)) then configure a
3d screensaver to automatically start after, say, a minute, but not to
prompt for a password. Leave the system alone and let the screensaver
start. Once that's happened, move the mouse and you should get back to
your original screen. Reconfigure the screensaver to prompt for a
password and repeat.

John.