Re: [LUG] Accessing Linux Drives from Windows

Mark wrote:

On Sunday 14 Aug 2005 23:02, Steve Ellis wrote:
Hello

Apologies for to those that know about this already.

I came across this the other day think anyone with a dual boot
Linux/Windows system will find it quite useful.

www.fs-driver.org

It is a Ext2 File System driver for Windows (read & write).

Simple install & program is accessible from the control panel.

Thank you
Steve

Looks quite interesting - thanks for the link! I see Ext3 is also supported- which covers many of the more modern distros :)
Not running Windows, I will get the wife to test it out ;)
I was looking at the link and wondering - as this does not preserve Linux file permissions, I assume that if the Windows machine was compromised, the attacker could gain access to the majority of the Linux system and add himself to the users or carry out root type activity or other nefarious activities? Mark - a new guy in the LUG :)

That's entirely true, I can't remember if it was this tool or another mentioned in LXF a month or two ago. Basically it makes sense not to automount the drives in windows, but only open them when necessary to avoid this type of problem.