Re: [LUG] broadband again

simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

my ignorance is such that your reply is too technical for me!How do I locate the
DNS values?

The DNS values really should be picked up once the DHCP assigns you an IP address and locates the correct entries for the network you are on. Basically your ISP's DNS servers. At a pinch you could give them a bell and ask if you want to enter them manually.

What is a gateway.

The gateway is the default "path" out of the computer. Slim analogy, but think of the PC like your house. The "default" way out is "front door". In this case your front door is the router's IP address.

Webmins route setup asks for default gateway,

(router's IP address)

network, mask,

If you mean subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.o (but I'm open to correction on that).

destination and interface.

Not sure about destination, but interface *ought* to be eth0, your single existing network connection on the PC.

I'm sure someone will pick the bones out of this reply, but that may get you somewhere... certainly you *need( the default gateway, which if I read your earlier mail right, should be 10.0.0.138

Kind regards,

Julian