Re: [LUG] broadband again

Quoting Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:42:06 +0100
Simon Robert wrote:

I'm stuck and don't know how to configure this. I have 2 PCs and a
speedtouch router.  I set up a local network where the router is
10.0.0.138, the XP box 10.0.0.1 and the mandrake box 10.0.0.2.

After lots of hassle with fixed IP addresses I decided that I would at
least get the XP box talking to the internet. So I switched the XP
network setting from fixed address to DCHP. This worked, and the
mandrake PC still sees the XP box as 10.0.0.1, the XP PC sees mandrake
as ...0.2 while at the same time seeing the internet with an IP address
chosen via DCHP. Linux sees the router, 10.0.0.138, but not the internet.

What do I need to do? I'm using webmin as a setup tool.

Thanks
     Simon

What have you got as your default gateway on the Linux box (use the command "route" to find out)? Have you got the correct DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf?

Grant
--
my ignorance is such that your reply is too technical for me!How do I locate the
DNS values? What is a gateway. Webmins route setup asks for default gateway,

When I google I get stuff about how to setup as a DCHP server, I just want the
speedtouch to be the server and the linux box the client.

Back when I was a code monkey we used to have people to set this stuff up and
never had to get our hands dirty with such things as networks. You can safely
assume that on this area I know less than someone who knows absolutely nothing!