Re: [LUG] Router/firewall recommendation

On Thursday 04 Aug 2005 19:23, Grant Sewell wrote:

> I can't really think of any reason why a proper router (as opposed to a
> silly usb modem thing) should allow downloading files via http (ie clicking
> on them in a browser) but not when using wget/curl (or whatever apt-get
> uses).  It's not something daft like you've set up your router to act as a
> proxy, you've told your browser about the proxy but not the rest of the
> system?

No proxies set. Both routers worked perfectly on my laptop with Libranet 2.8.1
with a 2.4.xx kernel installed.  When Libranet became a bit long in the tooth
I installed Sarge testing and apt ceased to function.  Changed back to
Libranet, then Sarge 3.0 r1 in June and once again apt failed.  Have
installed Libranet v3.0 but still apt won't work.  Tried Kubuntu this
afternoon and that won't work either.  I'm using Libranet 3.0 on my desktop
box with IPCop and a Dynamode PCI modem which works perfectly.  Previously I
had Sarge v3 r1 on it but after a couple of weeks it went wobbly.  Libranet
Support are looking into the router problem at the moment.  I feel that it's
something to do with IPV6 which was cured on SuSE Online Updates and Mandriva
Updates quite easily with a line of script.  Not so with Debian :(

Alas, until a solution can be found I'll use XP on the laptop.

--
W.Devon