Re: [LUG] Router/firewall recommendation

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:53:10 +0100
David Bell wrote:

> Please, can anyone recommend an eth0 connected ADSL router with firewall (no
> not IPCop or Smoothwall etc.) that will allow Debian apt-get downloads.  My
> Netgear DG 632 and D-Link DSL-504T just won't play ball.

I can't really think of any reason why a proper router (as opposed to a silly usb
modem thing) should allow downloading files via http (ie clicking on them in a
browser) but not when using wget/curl (or whatever apt-get uses).  It's not
something daft like you've set up your router to act as a proxy, you've told your
browser about the proxy but not the rest of the system?  That's the only way I can
think of!  BTW, I'm using a generic router (one of the cheapest from Ebuyer) that
has SafeCom firmware, and it works fine.  I have chosen to be behind an IPCop router
too because I do not entirely trust my SafeCom router - it runs VxWorks and doesn't
allow console access easily, and I likes my CLI!  Some more details about the
SafeCom at http://tinyurl.com/9sneo

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.