[LUG] re: network and broadband

Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt wrote:

Hi

thanks for all the help. I've not seen my e-mail for a couple of days and did infact sort most of it out, a bit of a learning curve and it helps to read the instructions sometimes!

The IP addresses I setup first were numbered the way they were because that's what XP suggested - it came up with 169.254.27.47 for some reason. As the stuff I'd setup with mandrake was naff and actively getting in the way I tried setting up using a live distro, kanotex, to give a clean start each time I needed to start again. This had a slightly better set of configuration tools so I fossicked around with it until everything seemed to work.

So the PCs are 192.168.0.1 and 2, the router, as suggested was on 10.0.0.138 and I've added 10.0.0.1 / 2 to the 192... IP addresses, what webmin calls virtual addresses, which enables me to access the speedtouch browser based config app on 10.0.0.138.

The devolo plugs seem to work fine, though I've not been on line yet. Around the house the speed seems OK. It took about 15 minutes to transfer 1GB, is that a reasonable result? I have two plugs in adjoining rooms upstairs and the router downstairs about as far as it can be from the other two. I think they're great gizmos, no hassle with wires. Linux Format gave them a review a couple of months back and really rated them, which is why I went for them.

The setup now seems stable, but as I don't really know what I'm doing I'd be happy to hear any suggestions about the way I've done it.

Lastly, I'm still not clear about if I need hub/splitter/switch attached to the router, (1 ethernet connection only), for access from 2 PCs? The router seems happy enough to have both PCs use the setup application at the same time.

Thanks

   Simon Robert

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx