Re: [LUG] re: network and broadband

Simon Robert wrote:

The IP addresses I setup first were numbered the way they were because that's what XP suggested - it came up with 169.254.27.47 for some reason.

Hi Simon,

I remember from my time in tech support for cablemodems that 169.254.*.* IP addresses were/are essentially internal IP addresses assigned by the OS (in our case Windows or MacOS) when it can't find a DHCP server. So it runs home to Mum crying and she gives it a pat on the head and a 169.254 to calm it down :)

Evidently Windows XP had a mare trying to find your DSL modem and chucked up an internal IP.

Kind regards,

Julian