Re: [LUG] Graphical development in linux?

On 6/13/05, Martin White <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a pretty simple DB backend in mind. So simple in fact, OpenOffice base
> seems to be pretty good, but it's a little buggy to really provide the whole
> solution just yet i feel.
>
> So i'm wandering what to use to implement it.
>
> Much though i don't really like to use VB these days, it's the kind of
> situation where i would probably reach for VB were i in a windows environment
> since i want to get on with piecing the application together graphically
> rather than spending hours on underlying code.
>
> SO, what to use? I need a database back end, preferably MySQL since my
> webspace has that too.
>
> I need to run the application on a windows machine as well as my linux
> machine.
>
> I've had a very quick look at mono. QT# looks to be pretty good, but i'm not
> sure if any of these are going to give me the gui building similar to VB that
> i'm looking for?

perl and wxWindows or QT could do the job fairly easily, class-dbi for
the backend, then use Maypole for web or a QT/wxWindows GUI depending
where you run it for the front end.

There are free mono and QT GUI building applications, that give you
the UI generation but I doubt they match VB for pure click-n-drool.

C# is very nearly as verbose and fragile as Java from what I have done
- both can be pig once you actually hack the code, as helpful as the
dozens of tools to generate it are.

You may also want to look at SQLite as it allows you to have your
database in a single file and accessible in most languages.

I've built Perl/GTK GUI's before and it was quite nice, but then I'd
already coded in GTK/C and the documentation assumes you know the GTK
API pretty well, also I don't know if GTK will just work with
activestate perl on windows.

As a last resort you could quickly knock something together the old
fashioned way with Perl/TK - cross-platform, functional, mature and
frankly a bit on the ugly side last time I looked.

Cheers,

A.