[LUG] Graphical development in linux?

Hi people,

I'm sitting here wandering an easy way to go about something...

I have a pretty simple DB backend in mind. So simple in fact, OpenOffice base
seems to be pretty good, but it's a little buggy to really provide the whole
solution just yet i feel.

So i'm wandering what to use to implement it.

Much though i don't really like to use VB these days, it's the kind of
situation where i would probably reach for VB were i in a windows environment
since i want to get on with piecing the application together graphically
rather than spending hours on underlying code.

SO, what to use? I need a database back end, preferably MySQL since my
webspace has that too.

I need to run the application on a windows machine as well as my linux
machine.

I've had a very quick look at mono. QT# looks to be pretty good, but i'm not
sure if any of these are going to give me the gui building similar to VB that
i'm looking for?

Erm, can't really think of much else to say right now. This has been swimming
about since Xmas. I did do a version in java but it was a nightmare to do and
quickly broke so was shelved soon after it was finished!!

Oh, the application!!, think stock control and work control system. I have a
fairly large number of electronic components. Let's say 1000. At any time i
want to be able to see how many of each i have, what i paid for them, how
much i should sell them for if someone asks for something and the current
replacement value. All fairly standard DB stuff.

Against each of the parts there may be a pinout i need to store and then
display this if requested. Still probably pretty standard stuff.

Then a PCB comes in to be looked at. I need to log the PCB in to the system
(raise it as a job). I need to be able to write up a repair log, assign parts
that have been used in the repair against the board, and thus reduce the
stock levels for the parts and magically get a parts cost for the repair and
further down the line it could produce a replacement stock order (but that's
going a bit far just yet).

Hence, by the time you get to here, it's probably gone a bit beyond a simple
open office / access type database solution?

This is 100% hobby BTW.

At the moment, i do this all with a straight text file and then write up the
logs on my website, so for an example "job" see here:
http://www.guddler.co.uk/index.php?selected=7&content=0

Any ideas?

Martin.