Re: [LUG] Graphical development in linux?

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:42:53 +0100
Martin White wrote:

[snip]

> I need to run the application on a windows machine as well as my linux
> machine.
>
> I've had a very quick look at mono. QT# looks to be pretty good, but i'm not
> sure if any of these are going to give me the gui building similar to VB that
> i'm looking for?

Since I've not looked into this, would PHP/Perl/Python not be a good choice?  You
could use a nice GUI html editor (Quanta, Mozilla's thingy, etc) and then add the
code in yourself.  Alternatively, how about something like Delphi/Kylix?
(Personally, I would tend towards PHP).

> Hence, by the time you get to here, it's probably gone a bit beyond a simple
> open office / access type database solution?

Oh, I don't know.  I've not used OOoBASE, but if it's anything like Access then it
should be able to handle SQL databases to some degree.  In which case, why not make
your GUI in BASE and connect it to a SQL database?  Why make life more difficult
than it potentially needs to be?

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.