Re: [LUG] School Wiki

On 6/8/05, Tom Arrow <bomarrow1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>  As some some people know I'm gradually trying to convert my school to
> Linux/open source. So far I have asked for one Linux box and got a while
> without a disk and a lot of excuses about how every computer in the school
> needed updating (or so it seems). Then I was reading a post about having a
> wiki for school and thought I would build one for my school. To save time I
> thought I would use an old box install Apache then PHP 5 and mySQL and
> mediawiki then put it on a network at home give the school its ip get it put
> on the schools homepage and then wait until the technicians want to site it
> at school.

I'd try Kwiki (http://www.kwiki.org/) rather than mediawiki - it's
smaller simpler and easier and has all the features you'll need.

You might also want to look at blosxom which is a very nice very
simple blog (http://www.blosxom.com/)

Fedora is probably easier than Debian, and FC3 is very stable right now.

>  First what do people think of that idea and any improvement suggestions.

> Lastly does any one have any idea how to set up a server with all this stuff
> on and make it work.

Apache is very simple to configure and setup, usually the
configuration is in /etc/httpd/conf/, cgi scripts go in the cgi-bin
directory, html in the htdocs directory, start it with
/etc/init.d/httpd start.

Cheers,

A.