Re: [LUG] School Wiki

Hi

I have a few power cables lying around at home so I will have a look for you, I also possibly have a few spare network cards, Assuming you want CAT5, and not BNC, or token ring. However I recommend the d-link 530tx or similar in that line as that works great with my system, which again I have here, I do however need to test it as it may have died during an electrical storm a few years back and I never threw it away, Just replaced,

I also have some spare network cable, lying aroud, essentially more cable than I have computers to connect too,

In terms of setting things up,  I would do things one step at a time.

A few basic hints for apache.

on my debian system the apache set up config file is in
/etc/apache/httpd.conf

try typing http://10.0.0.3/ into your web browser, (where 10.0.0.3) is the ip address of your local computer, (as I have a router, and hub each computer is allocated an address using DHCP.

documents go in
/var/www

There is lots of documentation, I have 2 books on apache, however they are on loan to a friend at portsmouth uni, so should hopefully be getting them back over the summer sometime. I have a book on teach yourself PHP MySQL and Apache in 24 hours by SAMS, (LAMP), which is recommended, Not sure if a wiki uses MySQL, but could do for storing user details.

If you need help finding a file try typing

locate filename

You could also try Neils site www.codehelp.co.uk and perhaps even view the source of the dcglug site, to give you an idea on what the source code looks like if you get stuck.

Above all DOCUMENT everything you do for later, reference, including screen dumps, code etc, that way when it's all working you can set up a similar system for other people,

Hope this helps,  Good luck

Paul

ex
Tom Arrow wrote:

Hi,
As some some people know I'm gradually trying to convert my school to Linux/open source. So far I have asked for one Linux box and got a while without a disk and a lot of excuses about how every computer in the school needed updating (or so it seems). Then I was reading a post about having a wiki for school and thought I would build one for my school. To save time I thought I would use an old box install Apache then PHP 5 and mySQL and mediawiki then put it on a network at home give the school its ip get it put on the schools homepage and then wait until the technicians want to site it at school.
First what do people think of that idea and any improvement suggestions. Secondly does any one know where I can get a cheep network card Ethernet cable and a power lead for a computer. Lastly does any one have any idea how to set up a server with all this stuff on and make it work.
Thanks

--
Tom (the younger)