Re: [LUG] new sarge/first post

hi there,
I'm new around here.

Hi there!

This is a bit groan worthy for me - I've only just
(barely) managed to install the old
Linux/Debian/Sarge.
:)

I'm currently trying to find time to get the XWindows
system up and running.

Also does anyone know how to fix this:
Upon bootup, the black screens with all the
information scrolling past seems to be uniformly one
character out of place to the left, so that i can't
see the first letter of each line.

Sound like you monitor is syncing incorrectly (this is perfectly normal) thats why most monitors have a auto setup button these days. When the system is booting the monitor is in a very low resolution (prehapse you have never used this scan rate/resolution combination) so you may need to either press the auto button or adjust the horizontal placement. Monitors generaly remember the settings for a given resolution/scan rate combo.

I've tried the dpkg thing (reconfigure for monitor etc
but so far no joy, and no working Xwindows either.

Whats up with xwindows?

When installing debian sarge from net install or debian installer xwindows have always just worked for me. Any specific problems?

Robin