Re: [LUG] USB problems

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:57:59 +0100 (BST)
Martin White wrote:

I have to say that i'm starting to question the whole worth of the £60
purchase price!!

I was wandering about the lack of right click option to safely remove a
usb mounted filesystem too. That's standard KDE fare iirc so what on earth
has possesed SUSE to remove it in favour of opening a console, SUing to
root and unmounting the filesystem is way beyond me.

As far as I was aware it wasn't actually a KDE thing.  KDE will allow you to
right-click and umount any "volumes" that are either mounted by you or have the
"users" (notice the s at the end) option set in the fstab... in which case problems
with usb-keys is more than likely an error on SuSE's hotplug scripts, not KDE.  But
you're right - it is a simple thing that shouldn't be "broken" like that.

Very few casual linux users and linux newbies are going to realise you
should do this and most will probably just yank the memory card out!

This is true... so let's just hope that SuSE *have* included the "sync" option in
their hotplug scripts.

Strange... Oh yeah, let's not even talk about the crippling of the
multimedia features.

What multimedia features?  RedHat decided not to include libraries to play MP3
files... does that constitute "crippling"?  Mandrake shipped with kernels that
didn't have "multi-lun support" in their kernels which made it almost impossible to
use those 8-in-1 card readers... is that "crippling"?  It all depends on what your
uses are and what you expect.

I got round my problems by downloading a trial of VMWare 5, installing a
Windows XP guest and then running the software in that (this wasn't all to
do with the USB problems, i also couldn't find a decent linux replacement
for the windows program clrmamepro).

Did you try running ClrMAMAPro under Wine?  You can't *expect* all Windows
applications to have Linux equivalents.

Now if only VMWare wasn't another $189 on top of what SUSE cost me :)

There are other products.  WINE, CrossOver, WineX (now known as Cedega), Win4Lin,
Bochs, etc, etc.

It's times like these when i start to question my use of linux
unfortunately. I simply can't afford two evenings of farting about
installing and doing stuff when in windows it would have taken me about 15
minutes :(

That's a shame.  In those two evenings of "farting about" you will have learnt one
hell of a lot more about your system and Linux than you could possibly have learnt
in those 15 minutes of clicking yes to a bunch of EULAs and selling your soul... :D

Taking control of your own system is not everyone's first choice.  Just as some like
to use public transport and have no say in the route they take, so some will always
be happy just using Windows systems.  Me?  I like to decide for myself.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.