Re: [LUG] USB problems

Yeah Suse + usb is a pain, suse 9.0 worked great with my camera, both 9.1 and 9.2 don't seem to be able to handle a usb mass storage device properly. also for some reason I can no longer right click and mount devices, it seems that they have also altered the permissions so you have to be root to mount a device like a cdrom, (it's a pain)

I have just got a copy of kanotix which is based on debian, and both the above work with no problem.

Not that this is much help really.

Paul

Martin White wrote:

Hi people...

I haven't really got time to go through this right now (beyond this mail), but next week sometime is anyone any good with USB problems?

I've just had the worst 24 hours with linux that i've had in absolutely ages and i have to say it was enough to nearly throw the towel in, but thankfully i've just circumnavigated the problem for now.

In a nutshell, i bought an N-Gage for my birthday. Essentially though we could be talking any device you like, the important bit is it uses MMC cards and i needed to read and write them.

Having an HP Photosmart 130 printer (with built in card reader) i failed to see how this could remotely be a problem. How wrong could i be.

Anyway, long story short, my shuttle has two usb ports on the front and two on the back. I'm running SUSE 9.3 and in the hardware section, they appear as the "usual" ohcpi and ehcpi usb devices. I think that's right, i'm not going to go into the hardware tool right now to confirm as every time i do that it crashes my wireless network card and i have to reboot afterwards but that's another story :)

SO, after a night of hair pulling, i popped to argos and bought an 8 in 1 card reader this afternoon, but the thing STILL wouldn't work, i just got a load of errors in /var/log/messages when i plugged it in, same as i was doing with the printer last night.

Not knowing what else to try i remembered that my flat panel screen has a two port hub built into it so plugged that in. This came up as a different kind of usb port (tusb2056 i think) and when plugged into that the card reader works a treat. I'm pretty much willing to bet that the printer's card reader would do too if i tried! (Oh well!)

So, for now i need to crack on with what i was doing, i've wasted FAR too much time just getting something trivial to work but maybe later on in the week i would love to be able to diagnose the errors and get all the other ports working properly too (if possible).

I'm having a couple of other issues with SUSE too, but mostly unrelated so maybe i'll start another thread when i have more time...

Thanks for reading :)

Martin.