Re: [LUG] USB problems

I'll endeavour to feedback on these problems if i can find where to do so
later...

My copy of linux format should be on it's way back from town as i type so i'll
see what they have to say about it when i get it, but to be fair, if they
don't already know about the amount of displeasure with not just removing out
of the box support for divx, mp3 (other than realplayer which is naff), avi,
windows media etc, etc, but also not compiling the support in to kde
applications in the first place then they much have their heads buried in a
huge amount of sand!

This problem is all over the web.

I've got as much of the multimedia support back in as i need (basically
everything but DVD reading which i've got a 5.1 dvd player under the TV to
do!) but i had to install non-official versions of some of the preinstalled
apps to get it which means that those rpms now appear as locked in the YAST
tool and will therefore not get updated by YOU :(

Also, because of what i've done, Kaffeine segfaults on exit, quicktime player
has no sound just a metronome 'click' and there was something else but i
forget!

Don't get me wrong, SUSE 9.3 is great. And i can more than live with having to
go to a few unsupported websites to get the windows codecs and stuff but the
rest of it (the problems, not the OS) is just poor for the price.

I think there's probably 1 key word or phrase here too. AMD64. I'm not
conviced that x86 users are having quite so many problems, but my statement
is not based on fact yet so take it with a pinch of salt.

It also doesn't get round the spending quite literally days sometimes to get
to do what should work within minutes.

Anyway, i'm starting to moan :)

Time to get back to work and get back onto the USB issues at some point.

Martin.